06 September, 2011

Book Review: Turn It Up by Inez Kelley

Book: TURN IT UP
Author: INEZ KELLEY
Genre: CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE
Published: August 2011, CARINA PRESS


Series: None
Source: Author, no other compensation given for an honest review

From Good Reads:
Dr. Bastian Talbot and self-proclaimed sex goddess Charlie Pierce heat up the air waves with their flirty banter as radio hosts Dr. Hot and the Honeypot. Off the air, they're best friends…but Bastian wants to be so much more. He wants Charlie—in bed, and forever.

Problem is, Charlie doesn't do commitment. Sure, she's had X-rated fantasies of Bastian, but he was always just a friend—until he impulsively proposes and unleashes the lust they've been denying for years. Charlie's willing to explore where their wild chemistry leads, but she won't marry him. And he won't have sex with her until she accepts his proposal, despite her seductive schemes.

What are Dr. Hot and the Honeypot to do? Ask their listeners for advice on how to tame a sex kitten and turn a perfect gentleman into a shameless lover. The Race to Wed or Bed is on…who will turn up on top?


My Review:
What I really liked about TURN IT UP was the banter between "Dr. Hot" and the "Honeypot". On air the two had a great chemistry, and they bounced off of each other really well. Not only did this serve to make their outside relationship believable (in the context of how close they were, as radio co-hosts as well as real-life friends), but the dialog had the dual purpose of advancing the plot AND establishing the construct of the relationship of Kelley's two key characters.

I've read several of Kelley's novellas that definitely turned up the heat between a male and female, to the point that they set the sheets on fire. Her stories usually establish that the two characters have had a previous relationship, which works well for getting them in bed together quickly. However, TURN IT UP had a different feel to me. I really liked the previous novellas that I read, but this time I felt like I could relax into the story. It did seem to move at a different pace, and not just because of the longer word count. I liked the idea of the wager, and I enjoyed the ride while Bastian and Charlie tried to best one another.

The bottom line, I've never read an Inez Kelley book that I didn't like, but with TURN IT UP, I think I have a new favorite.

4/5 for plot
4.5/5 for characters
4.5/5 for language

My Rating: 13/15 (4 stars)

Highly Recommended, if you liked:

Fast Track (series) by Erin McCarthy
Coin Operated by Ginny Glass
Brown Siblings (series) by Lauren Dane


Find the author at:
Website | Twitter | GoodReads | Facebook

Purchase book at:
Barnes and Noble | Carina Press | Amazon

Available formats: Epub, NookBook, Kindle

Challenge Participation:

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! I enjoyed your review, and how you broke it down with the story plot, characters, and language. I'll add these to my TBR pile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails